The Sparkle Awards Presents: Deck the Falls! In partnership with the City of Niagara Falls, the Downtown Niagara Falls BIA will be hosting the Sparkle Awards, an initiative to highlight local properties with spectacular outdoor holiday lighting displays. This event is free and open to all properties in Niagara Falls. Scroll down for the rules, timeline, how to apply, and more!
November 21st: Open date for entry applications
November 21st – December 9th: Entries pick up lawn signs
December 9th: Close date for entry applications
December 11th: Open date for community choice voting
December 19th: Close date for community choice voting
December 11th – December 20th: Entries keep lights on between 6 PM and 10 PM
December 20th: Give out awards
There are four ways to participate:
1. Create a holiday lighting display and enter online to qualify for one of our 6 award categories! Winners will be awarded a Canadian Tire gift certificate courtesy of Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc.
2. Follow the Sparkle Awards: Deck the Falls Map and take your family on a tour of the city to enjoy all of the spectacular displays. Vote online for your favourite displays!
3. Share your photos and videos on social media and tag @DowntownNiagaraFalls and hashtag #DeckTheFalls.
4. Join our Goosechase virtual scavenger hunt by downloading the Goosechase app and joining with game code “4797D7″. Those with the most points will be entered into a draw to win gift cards to Downtown Niagara Falls businesses.
How to Enter
1. Enter online to register your property between November 21st and December 9th (by 4 p.m.)
2. Create and light your display by 6 p.m. on December 11th (and light it each night from 6 to 10 p.m.)
3. Let everyone know they can vote for you and help us promote this community-wide event by including your Official Sparkle Awards: Deck The Falls Entry lawn sign in your display. If you don’t have one from last year, you can pick one up for free at the Downtown Niagara Falls BIA office at 4605 Queen Street, Niagara Falls (we’re here Friday from 5 PM to 10 PM, Saturday 12 PM to 10 PM, and Sunday from 12 PM until 4 PM)
For each award, one business and one residential entry will be chosen.
The Griswald Family Christmas House Award
Not even Cousin Eddie could dim this business or house! We are looking for the most extravagant decorations that make you stop and say “Wow!” There will be no doubt in anyone’s mind that this entry is going to have the “hap-hap-happiest Christmas.”
The holidays aren’t just about the lights. This award is for the business or house that blew away the competition! With their larger-than-life displays and dedication to nylon this property really took our breath away!
The Nightmare Before Christmas Award
This business or house is a master of fright and a demon of light! Who says Christmas can’t be spooky and fun! This property blends spooky and festive with an ease that would make Tim Burton proud.
The Whoville Award
Every Who down in Who-Falls loves this business or house a lot! This business or house would make the Who’s proud and cause the Grinch to say “Hate, hate, hate. Double Hate. Loathe Entirely”
Winter Wonderland Award
This award is going to the business or house that was the most beautiful sight, and happiest at night. Their love for the holiday season made them a perfect Winter Wonderland.
Fred Girardo – Community Choice Award
Many of you may have known Fred Girardo as the owner of one of the area’s greatest Christmas spectacles. His house, located on Dorchester Road, was always brightly lit with spectacular light displays that left anyone who saw them in awe. His efforts didn’t go unnoticed, winning multiple awards for his incredible lights and there was no doubt that he would top it this year. Unfortunately, just seven weeks after Christmas 2021, Girardo suddenly passed at 64, leaving behind a wife, two sons, and six grandchildren. We have decided to rename the Community Choice Award to the Fred Girardo Award to honour this amazing man who participated in this program for his grandkids, his friends, and his sense of community.
This award is given out to the business or house that the community has voted as their favourite. Community members have the opportunity to check out all the properties participating in this event and then vote on the property that they like the best.
- No purchase necessary.
- Entries must register their house or business between November 21st and December 9th at the form below
- Entrants must display their lawn signs showing their participation in this event on their front lawn. They can pick their signs up at the Downtown Niagara Falls BIA office (4605 Queen Street, Niagara Falls) between November 21st and December 11th (we’re here Friday from 5 PM to 10 PM, Saturday 12 PM to 10 PM, and Sunday from 12 PM until 4 PM)
- Entrants must create and light their display by December 11th
- Every night entrants must have their display lit from 6 to 10 pm starting on December 11th to December 20th
- Decorations should not cover/ interfere with any sidewalks/walkways or fire equipment (i.e., fire safety equipment, roadways or sidewalks/walkways.)
- Open to residential and commercial properties in the City of Niagara Falls, Ontario
- Competition dates are Sunday, December 11th through Monday, December 19, between the hours of 6 p.m. and 10 p.m
- Voting may take place anytime between 6 p.m. on Dec 11 and 11:59 p.m. on Dec 19. Assessments should be made from the curbside or sidewalk only
- Special Effects/Lighting/Inflatables must be operating each night during the competition (until 10 p.m.)
- Contest is limited to exterior decorations, which should be well lit so they can be easily be seen from the curbside.
- Please do not block traffic or driveways when stopping to view the displays.
- Please do not interfere with the displays.
- Keep everything PG-13.
- Photos & Media: participants must agree to have photos of their displays and their addresses posted online, including, at the sole discretion of the City: the Sparkle Map, voting forms, and our social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook and Twitter).
For more information on the Sparkle Awards: Deck the Falls, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-356-5444 during regular business hours.